If you haven’t started raising your own chickens, you’re in for a treat. Having your own backyard flock is fun and addictive. Chickens have their own personalities, are friendly, funny and sweet. There’s nothing like having a few hens see you step outside and come running up to greet you (looking for treats). And how many ‘pets’ provide breakfast as a perk?
Getting Started with Chickens:
- 30 Things to Know Before You Get Chickens
- Are Chickens Right for You?
- 20+ Reasons Why You Should Raise Chickens
- How to Raise Chickens (Without Breaking the Bank)
- Newbie Chicken Owners Beware
- 14 Sure-fire Ways to Have Unhappy Hens
- The Cost of Raising Chickens
- Chick Check List and Resources
- Setting up a Brooder for Your Baby Chicks
Chicken Problems (Behavior):
- Learn What’s Wrong with your Hen by Knowing Her Body Language
- Adding New Chickens to Your Existing Flock
- Ways to Help Break Broodiness in a Hen
- Introducing New Chicks to a Broody Hen (for Her to Raise)
- Dealing with a Bully Hen in Your Flock
- Do You Have Room for More Hens?
- How to Get Your Hens to Lay in the Nest Box
Chicken Problems (Illness):
- How to Treat Egg Bound Chickens
- Natural Treatment for Chicken Lice
- Poultry Mites
- Treating Bumblefoot (with Surgery)
- Treating Sour Crop Naturally
- General Guidelines for Using Essential Oils with Your Flock
- Using Essential Oils to Treat Sick Hens: Common Chicken Conditions, Eye Impurity, Undetermined Bug
Chicken Coop (and DIY Projects):
- Chicken Coop 101: The Basic of What a Coop Needs
- Designing Your Chicken Coop
- 10 Hacks to Keep Your Chicken Water Thawed During Winter
- How to Make a DIY Chicken Water Heater For Less than $4.
- How to Make a Homemade Chicken Feeder
- How Much Space Does a Chicken Take?
- Should You Put Light in Your Coop During Winter?
- How to Make a Nest Box From a Milk Crate
- How to Make a Dust Bath Area for Your Coop
- How to Deal with Wasp Nests in the Chicken Coop
- How to Make a Chicken Saddle (protection from an over active rooster)
- How to Make Your Own Suet Cakes
Chickens and Eggs:
- How to Treat Egg Bound Chickens
- How to Tell if Your Chickens are Laying
- To Clean or Not to Clean Your Backyard Eggs
- When Egg Laying Goes Awry (A Case Study from One of My Hens)
- Why Hens Stop Laying
- What are Those TINY TINY Eggs in the Nest Box?
- Why do Hens Lay RUBBER Eggs?
- A Simple Solution to Help Your Chickens Exercise in Winter Months
- What is Diatomaceous Earth (and Seven Ways to Use it)
- Giving Your Hens Egg Shells for Calcium
- Is Turmeric Good for Your Hens
- Things Chickens Shouldn’t Eat
- Should You Feed your New Chicks Medicated Chick Starter or Not?
- How to Plant a Chicken Foraging Garden (for Your Flock to Eat)
Misc Chicken Solutions to Common Problems:
- Chickens in Winter: 12 Ways to Prep your Flock for Colder Weather
- Chickens in Hot Weather: 17 Way to Keep Your Flock Cool in the Summer
- What to Do About Flies Around the Chicken Coop?
- What is Dust Bathing and Why to Chickens Do it
- What is Molting and What Can Be Done to Help?
- What’s Stalking Your Flock (and How to Protect Them)
- Cooper’s Hawks: How to Protect Your Flock
- Chickens and Snow
Misc Chicken Education:
- Posts related to allowing hens hatch eggs: Harriet’s Gonna be a Mommy, A Chicken and Her Eggs (part 2 on Harriet), Baby Chicks Grow So Fast, Don’t Count Your Chicks Before They Hatch, Penelope and her Chicks
- What my Cat Taught Me About City Farming
- When Chickens Get Sick
- The Math of City Farming
- The Chicken Who Changed My Life
- Does your Postal Working Know how to Butcher Chickens?